The Shawn Boyd Spring Shootout kicks off the GKGA Tournament schedule each year with a bang. This two-man team event is often our most popular and fun event of the season.
Shawn Boyd was a regular participant in the Spring Shootout and many other GKGA events in his lifetime. Shawn attended Allegan High School where he was a member of the golf team and was first-team all-conference twice. He later played golf at Kalamazoo Valley Community College which led to a degree in finance from Grand Valley State University. His life took an unsuspected turn at twenty-one years of age when he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his lower jaw. Shawn continued to play golf and participate in GKGA tournaments while going through treatment for his cancer. He possessed an unbelievable upbeat attitude and claimed he never had a bad day in his life.
Shawn lost his battle with cancer at the young age of twenty-seven in 2007. The Shawn Boyd Spring Shootout memorializes an individual that loved being out on the golf course with his fellow competitors and enjoyed life despite what he endured. The Shawn Boyd Spring Shootout is all about having fun and playing with friends. It is the perfect tournament to bear Shawn’s name.
This event is a TWO DAY event is a Senior/Open 36 hole scratch medal event Saturday Best Ball and a Scramble Sunday Event. Your team MUST consist of at least one Senior (50 years and older) player. The Open Division player will play the tips and the Senior Division player will play (1 up). Your team MAY consist of 2 Senior Division players, however, you must designate 1 player to play the tips BOTH days prior to the tournament starting. The starting time will be a 9 am Shotgun start both days. There is no cut for this tournament.
- Tournament Directors : Mike Sequite & Nick Carbary
- Course : The Medalist
- Date: May 22nd & 23rd, 2021 (Sat & Sun)
- Time : 9am SHOTGUN
- Format : Open/Senior partner, 36 hole (Best Ball / Scramble)
- Pricing : $180/Team, Carts Optional
- $20.00 per competitor for the skins game. This covers both days and you must get in both days to be in the skins game.
- 4 Closest to the Pins per flight sponsored by our sponsors!
- There are no Super Senior Awards for this event
- $100 Gift Certificate for Sunday Low Round.
Slow play will NOT be tolerated. Teams falling behind on holes will be penalized or disqualified for the following day.
By participating in a GKGA tournament you agree to abide by Tournament Rules (see "What To Expect" below) and release the GKGA from any liability in case of injury or illness as a result of participation.
Tournament Registration OPENS roughly 4 weeks before event date and CLOSES AUTOMATICALLY at 6pm on the Wednesday before the tournament.
Tee Times are generally published the following day.
What To Expect when you Participate
We try to make it as easy as possible to be a part of our events.
We collect your names, handicap (for grouping purposes), age group (for divisions qualification), email address (to send Tee Times and Notifications), Mobile Number (should there be an issue with your email or to quickly notify you in the event of an emergency), address (to snail mail out prizes), and other minor information.
How to Register:
- Complete the Tournament Form by Due Date (6pm Wednesday before each Tournament)
- Upon Submission you will be sent to Paypal.com for payment.The GKGA does not have a way to see your credit card information.
- Paypal accepts
- Credit / Debit Card
- Linked Bank Account
- Paypal Balance
- The creation of a PayPal account is unnecessary but useful.
- Paypal accepts
- You will receive an email from PayPal on successful payment.
- You will receive an email from GKGA confirming the successful entry
- You MUST receive two emails (one from PayPal and one from the GKGA) to confirm a successful entry
Questions? Please Email GKGA
- Is calculated from a formula based on the number of players in each division of the Tournament
- All entry costs are paid out to winners as Gift Cards for the Golf Course that hosts the Tournament.
- There optional cash-only Skins events.
- They are divided into the Open and Senior Divisions
- It is paid out in cash at on Sunday for Saturdays match, or at the end of Sunday.
- In the past, due to Covid, we were able to Paypal your Skins winnings should you have a registered Paypal account.
- We do not use other means of payment mechanisms such as Venmo, ApplePay, or GooglePay.
Tournament Rules are emailed out to the competitors before the event.
The GKGA abides by current USGA rules.
Some tournaments may have Local Rules so be sure to read the Tournament Rules before the even and email [email protected] if you have questions
Special considerations may be listed in the Tournament Rules based on Michigan Health Department regulations.
**By participating in a GKGA tournament you agree to release the GKGA from any liability in case of injury or illness as a result of participation.**
The Health and Safety of our Competitors are important to us.
Each Tournament Rules and Setup will be based on the current Michigan Executive Order at time of competition:
- There may be different pairing and tee-time alternatives ie Two-somes vs Three-somes, off both nines, etc
- Cups may be inverted, half-filled with foam or use a device to assist in no touch of flagstick to retrieve the golf ball.
- Expect some delays due to various physical distancing considerations
Accurate player count is critical as we commit the player counts to the course at the tournament deadline.
Refunds are only given for the specific circumstances
- During the Registration period of that Tournament (up to Wed 6pm before the tournament)
- If you show signs of the Flu, Body Aches, or Coughing before the Tournament, please email [email protected] ASAP
- A Medical condition forces you to withdraw.